Sunday School classes offer a weekly small group where life is shared and spiritual growth happens. We invite you to join us from 9:15 to 10:15 AM each Sunday. Adult Sunday School classes meet on the first and second floors of the Administrative building on the church campus. If you need more information about a Sunday School class contact Rev. Sam McGlothlin, email@example.com.
Classes and Locations:
Connections - Room 219
We are in our early 30s - 40s. We enjoy study, discussion & application of Christianity to every day life. Some members are single and some are married. All want to put their faith in action and live as Christ would have us live. Any and all visitors are welcome!
This Month: A Study of the Church Fathers
WOW - Room 211
"Women of the Word" comprised of women of all ages exploring topics and books of interest in a Biblical context.
This Month: A Study of the Jewish Tabernacle
FIDELIS - Room 217
We are 50's to mid 60’s. We have some couples and some single people. We tend to be a class of teachers in that we teach our own lessons. We enjoy fellowship at class parties and have been eating breakfast out together on 5th Sundays. We've done a lot of J. Ellsworth Kallas and Adam Hamilton books. We also study books of the bible using the commentary series in our room.
This Month: The 13 Apostles by J. Ellsworth Kalas led by class members
Upper Room - Room 220
With members mid-50s to over 80, the Upper Room Sunday School class is made up of a core group of long time members which has been enhanced by numerous new members in recent years. Our primary focus is Bible Study, but other focuses include: community and social issues and current and historical events, especially as they relate to Christianity. As a group, we support Church related needs as well as those outside our community. We create social gatherings such as our annual Christmas and summer parties, Ladies Lunch, and outings to Nashville Sounds baseball games. Fellowship and support of one another are key reasons to join. We love new members.
This Month: A Study of the Book of John using the John Wesley Bible series led by Chuck Lukehart
Logos - Room 218
We are 45 and up but all adults are welcome. Logos studies the Bible with contemporary application in order to claim a promise from God for each member. There is a strong emphasis on prayer, discipleship and glorifying God. The class setting is casual encouraging open discussion and interaction. This group typically alternates Bible study with study of books by various authors over the course of a year. They also make time for regular fellowship time/activities outside of class, and support a variety of mission projects each year.
This Month: What Every Christian Ought to Know by Adrian Rogers led by class members
Shepherd’s Class - The Lounge
Group study and scholarly discussion led by former pastor Dr. J. David Miller. Primary emphasis on Biblical passages, parables and the imperfect heroes God chose to grow and lead His flock. This class believes in the power of prayer, desires a deep relationship with Christ Jesus and welcomes opportunities to be an active witness outside our walls. While we care deeply and passionately for our own older generation, our mission efforts focus on the children and youth of this church and the world. All opinions are welcome.
This Month: The Parables of Jesus by J. Ellsworth Kalas led by J. David Miller
Triple S - Room 121
We are a mix of 50s-70s who are married, widowed, divorced, and never married. We study the Sunday Sermon Scripture (which is where we got our name). Activities include periodically going to lunch on Sundays & parties. We participate in RITI, volunteer for VBS and Freedom School, & collect for various mission needs.
Oxford - Room 123
We are a mix of 60s-70s. We enjoy Bible study of theological and current topics. Led by class members and outside leaders.
07/02 –Member, Jim Cunningham, teaching
07/09 – Member, Marshall Brown, teaching
07/16 – Member, Marshall Brown, teaching
07/23 – Our Pastor teaching
07/30 – Class Brunch
Trinity Bible - Room 125
Drawing from a variety of materials, the class focuses on Old and New Testament scriptures, Christian theology and Church history. Using a combination of presentations, discussion and videos, the class seeks to discern God’s timeless and universal revelations of spiritual truths from the perspective of Christian tradition. Occasionally, other religious traditions are studied with an eye to how they may inform the Christian Faith. The class may especially appeal to single or married adults of any age who are interested in studying the Bible and Christianity in their cultural and historical settings.
This Month: The class will not meet in July.
MOSAICS Older Adult MINISTRY
Who we are: We are people in our 60s-90s who love God and enjoy growing in faith and friendship together. All ages are welcome to participate in our activities!
Calendar of Events 2017:
- Sunday, February 12: "Here’s Love" Dinner and Music hosted by the Youth Group. 5:00-6:30 PM in the Fellowship Hall. No charge.
- Thursday, March 16: Mystery program with surprise guests at 11:30 AM in the Fellowship Hall. Lunch will follow.
- Thursday, April 20: Trip to Lynchburg and a tour of Jack Daniels Distillery followed by lunch at Miss Mary Bobo’s. Cost $30.00. Time TBA.
- Thursday, May 11: An afternoon at the Nashville Sounds with a tour of the stadium, lunch, and the game vs. Albuquerque at 6:30 PM.
- Friday, June 2: Trip to the Nashville Symphony for Coffee and Classics. Lunch downtown. Cost of $30.00 covers admission to Symphony and transportation only.
- Thursday, August 17: We will join St. George's Episcopal Church for their Prime Time Lunch and program about the upcoming Solar Eclipse. Lunch starts at 11am and is $10 at the door.
- September: We will tour a couple of the landmark downtown sites as well as travel around the downtown area to see the many changes in our city. Lunch will be Dutch treat at a downtown restaurant. More specific information will be available later.
- October: TBA
- November: Please join us this month for our service project. We want to give back to the community and help those in need. Times will be announced at a later date.
- December: Join us for lunch and a tour of the historic Longview Mansion of Caldwell Lane. Cost $20.00 includes transportation.
Register for events by signing up in the administrative lobby or by emailing Myra Bess, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONGOING SMALL GROUPS
Throughout the year, several groups form and meet for study, spiritual growth, fellowship, and service. Some ongoing study groups include:
Women's Book Club: Tuesday at 12:15 in the library. This group selects books for study and discussion, frequently focusing on spiritual practices. Contact Judy Wooldridge, email@example.com, to get involved.
- Women's Friday Bible Study: This group meets at 10:00 am on Fridays throughout the year and studies scripture, often guided by specific study materials by various authors. Contact Betty McAlister, firstname.lastname@example.org, to get involved.
united methodist women
United Methodist Women is a creative, supportive fellowship that aims to expand concepts of mission through participation in global ministries of the church, especially those concerning women, youth and children.
The local Belle Meade UMW meets in small groups called circles and these include:
- AGAPE - Every 3rd Tuesday at 10:30 AM in the church lounge.
- MIRIAM - A cyber-circle that corresponds through email & gathers as needed.
- TABITHA - Every 3rd Monday at 6:00 PM at various sites.
- TOMA DACHI - Every 1st Tuesday at 2:00 PM in the church lounge.
- ESTHER - Every 3rd Wednesday at 6:00 in the church lounge.
Belle Meade UMW also hosts three general meetings annually where women from all circles come together for fellowship, luncheon and programs regarding mission opportunities. Women visitors are welcome to come, enjoy the meal and fellowship, and learn about what we do as United Methodist Women. To learn more about United Methodist Women, checkout the UMW website. If you are interested in joining a circle, please contact Lynn Kauffman, email@example.com.